- Last modified at 4 September 2022
Antibiotic resistance, gene editing, stem cells, and cloning are some of the hot biological issues in the world nowadays. The support of various molecular techniques, omic approaches, and detection tool of new molecules makes biology and its various branches grow rapidly. Studying biology is said to be a key to dealing with medical, agricultural and even economic problems. Studying biology is the same as preparing to face a new world that will continue to change.
The Department of Biology, Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences, Bogor Agricultural University has 7 quality Study Programs in the form of Biology Undergraduate Study Programs (ASEAN University Network-Quality Assurance - AUN QA certified, SNI ISO 9001: 2015 certified in Academic Administration Service Process and Learning Process), 3 Master Study Program, and 3 Doctoral Study Programs. The seven Study Programs that obtained A Accreditation from the National Accreditation Board for Higher Education (BAN-PT) were managed professionally, one of which was proven by Dr. Iman Rusmana achievement as the National Outstanding Study Program Head in 2016 and Dr. Miftahudin as the Most Outstanding Study Program Head in IPB in 2018.
The awards complement various Department achievements such as outstanding lecturers or educational personnel, managers of Scopus indexed scientific journals, HAYATI Journal of Biosciences, and various other student achievements.
Being part of the Department of Biology means preparing yourself to be part of a new world reformer.
Harmonizing Biodiversity, Biosciences, and Biotechnique for a better life.
The vision of Departement of Biology is to become a leading education program in the field of biological sciences with international standards to support the advancement of agriculture, marine, and tropical biosciences.
- Organizing undergraduate education programs with international standards to produce graduates in the field of biology who are competitive and highly competent.
- Conducting research for the development of science and technology in the field of biology to support the advancement of agriculture and marine and tropical biosciences for the benefit of the public.
- Organizing community service that prioritizes scientific and technological innovation in the field of biology while maintaining the values of local wisdom and the preservation of natural resources and the environment.
- Strengthening the education management system with effective, efficient, transparent and accountable digitalization.
- Producing a Bachelor of Science, Master of Science, and Doctor of Science, who is professional, competent, and highly competitive in the field of biological science.
- To create and develop new knowledge of biological science, which can be validated by national and international scientific communities through research and scientific publications in reputable national and international scientific journals
- To ensure that the knowledge and the research products are conveyed to students, peers, and the wider society and could be used to improve public welfare through community service activities.
With a high commitment, the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences, Bogor Agricultural University is committed to improving and perfecting the system and the process of continuous learning in order to produce qualified graduates that are relevant to the needs of the community (Quality Policy of FMIPA IPB)
Collaboration and Community Services
The Department of Biology has collaborated with various domestic and foreign institutions including
- Domestic research institutions: Ragunan Wildlife Park, LIPI Biotechnology Research Center, Herbarium Bogoriense, Bogor and Cibodas Botanical Gardens, BPPT Serpong, BB Biogen Ministry of Agriculture Research and Development, etc.
- Local government: East Lombok, Gowa, Simalungun, etc.
- Domestic universities
- Universities and foreign institutions: University of Missouri-USA, IUCN, Zurich University-Switzerland, Tokyo University-Japan, Primate Research Institute Kyoto University-Japan, Nara Institute of Technology-Japan, Ibaraki University-Japan, German Government through IGN-TTRC program and CRC Program, Deutsches Primatenzentrum-Germany, Gottingen University-Germany, Kassel University-Germany, Supro Agro Montpellier-France, Chulalongkorn University-Thailand, Kasetsart University-Thailand, etc.
With these various collaborations, the Department of Biology's education and research activities are maintained in a sustainable, structured and quality manner. In fact, it is not uncommon for Biology Department students to have the opportunity to do some research abroad.
In the field of community service, the Department of Biology has collaborated with various institutions such as The Oscar M. Lopez Center-Philippines, Climate Reality Project Indonesia, various regional governments, and various secondary schools on the island of Java. Activities that have been carried out include counseling basic or applied biology to the general public, biology education to secondary school students, or becoming experts in various fields related to biology.